Forever Gyaru

A gyaru trapped in a sparkling world is forever gyaru

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CooladaGyaru

PostSubject: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:10 pm

Well i hope i don't get any hate comments for this, because i am not insulting gyarus or anything, but they do look quite similar!!
They both tan, wear fashionable clothes, get their nails done, wear tons of make-up, and like to party.
Their attitude seems quite the same too. Since they both hang out in groups, and both are quite obnoxious (i read that some gyaru circles tend to be rude and obnoxious, but hey dont blame me for reading it!). Overall, they could be the next "American" Gyaru...

= ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cooladagyaru.tumblr.com/
Hikitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 am

For me personally, while I see that the fashions share similair traits, they are not the "American" Gyarus or the "Japanese" Guidos -- both styles are different. To compare the two is fine, but to say the two are continental versions of each other is not only insulting to both styles and their practitioners, but close-minded. Things do not have to be the same because they look similar. (That's not a hate comment directed at you btw! :3)

To be honest, I think someone saw that the two styles shared similarities and immediately assumed they were copying each other. It's not true, it's just how the styles have evolved. In England, we do not have Guidos (I didn't even know about them until quite recently). What we have are Oompa Loompa girls.

These girls tan and use bronzer (to the state that a lot of them end up being orange), they wear fashionable (highstreet) clothes, they wear heavy eye make-up and even nude lips. They also hang out in groups and have a reputation for being bitchy.* I would never think they were the "English" Gyarus or the "English" Guidos. It's just silly to think like that. They are following their own style, many will not know about gyaru or about guidos.

I will admit I see similarities too between gyaru and guidos, and Oompa Loompa girls and gyaru, but that's it. I don't think they're copying each other, are versions of each other, or are anything of the sort. Sometimes in the morning, I have hair similar to that of a poodle, but I am most certainly not going to take kindly to being called the human version of one! xD

* This is kind of a moot point. All girls hang out in groups! xD It's what we do! I think it's strange to see girls walking alone everywhere, even 'normal' girls hang out in groups, it's what friends do. And being obnoxious isn't a style prerequisite; it's an unfortunate personality trait that anyone can have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iloveyoulolo

PostSubject: Re: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:16 am

Hikitty wrote:
For me personally, while I see that the fashions share similair traits, they are not the "American" Gyarus or the "Japanese" Guidos -- both styles are different. To compare the two is fine, but to say the two are continental versions of each other is not only insulting to both styles and their practitioners, but close-minded. Things do not have to be the same because they look similar. (That's not a hate comment directed at you btw! :3)

To be honest, I think someone saw that the two styles shared similarities and immediately assumed they were copying each other. It's not true, it's just how the styles have evolved. In England, we do not have Guidos (I didn't even know about them until quite recently). What we have are Oompa Loompa girls.

These girls tan and use bronzer (to the state that a lot of them end up being orange), they wear fashionable (highstreet) clothes, they wear heavy eye make-up and even nude lips. They also hang out in groups and have a reputation for being bitchy.* I would never think they were the "English" Gyarus or the "English" Guidos. It's just silly to think like that. They are following their own style, many will not know about gyaru or about guidos.

I will admit I see similarities too between gyaru and guidos, and Oompa Loompa girls and gyaru, but that's it. I don't think they're copying each other, are versions of each other, or are anything of the sort. Sometimes in the morning, I have hair similar to that of a poodle, but I am most certainly not going to take kindly to being called the human version of one! xD

* This is kind of a moot point. All girls hang out in groups! xD It's what we do! I think it's strange to see girls walking alone everywhere, even 'normal' girls hang out in groups, it's what friends do. And being obnoxious isn't a style prerequisite; it's an unfortunate personality trait that anyone can have.
^agree I also don't think even if guidos knew what gal was they would never call themselves that yes the two are very similar but there is most likely something that differentiates the two even if its really small its like gals being able to tell whose a fellow gal and whose just a girl with nice makeup on. If you were to put a guido or oompa loompa girl lol with 5 gals and one other guido she would be able to tell whose the fellow guido especially if she was experienced in the style
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lologyaru.blogspot.com
YukiNeko

PostSubject: Re: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:15 am

Hikitty wrote:

They're called Essex Girls because that's what a stereotypical Essex girl looks like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://profile.ameba.jp/amazingyuki
mademoisellem

PostSubject: Re: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:56 pm

I don't know.. Is gal considered as White-Trash in Japan?
Cause Guiodos/Essex girls are just white-trash.. ewhh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hikitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 am

YukiNeko wrote:
They're called Essex Girls because that's what a stereotypical Essex girl looks like.
I've always identified Essex Girls as being similar, but different. They are probably the same thing, with Essex girl being the proper name, and 'Oompa Loompa' being the purposefully insulting colloquialism, depending on where you're from. I certainly hear them being called Oompa Loompa far more often when they're still teenagers at any rate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xSarahMizanin

PostSubject: Re: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:07 am

I think I prefer the 'Oompa Loompa' name, we just call them chavs where I live, haha.

But I agree - I think that all three styles are different and none are english, american or japanese versions of each other. It's most likely just coincidence since most chavs I know are very close-minded and would call a gyaru 'weird' or 'freaky' if they saw one. I can see how they're very similar, though. (:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedMary

PostSubject: Re: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Guido is a slang term for Italian American. That whole Jersey Shore phenomenon made it seem like a "fashion". I grew up in Nj and didn't know any orange people...ugh, I dislike that show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yua

PostSubject: Re: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:15 am

Ok, in what world do you live to call Guido's "fashionable". They are absolutely not. They just dress skimpy and gross.

There are fundemental differences between the Gyaru style and the Guido style. For one, gyaru's are (usually) really fashionable, their goal is to look as young, pretty and cute as possible. Whereas the jersey shore cast tries to outwin eachother in some kind of ridiculous whore-contest or something. Or that is what it looks to me like. Angry

Also gyaru's do have an influence on fashion and start world wide trends, while the Guidos and Guidas tell us exactly what NOT to wear.
I am immensely entertained by the Jersey Shore, but GOD, I hate them. I just love watching them being stupid and count myself blessed to be born with a bigger brain than their peanut sized brains. Wave
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://TiesOfAffection.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??   

Back to top Go down

Are Guidos the "American" version of Gyarus??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1